Saturday 24 January 2009

The luxury of time to read

When you work long hours you appreciate time to read for the luxury it is.
Reading Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife a couple of weeks ago I completely identified with this phrase.

Monday to Thursday I can do little more than a couple of pages early in the morning and a chapter or two late at night. I don't work on a Friday and I have been known to see my girls off to school and then *blush* go back to bed with a book and read for a good three or four hours.

I've been deeply engrossed in Olivia Manning's excellent The Balkan Trilogy all weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can identify with that quote as well- when I'm working I can only fit in a few chapters although I also have Fridays off and often spend that time doing nothing but reading!

I'll be interested to hear about The Balkan Trilogy, as I've been meaning to read it for ages.

Anonymous said...

It's a great pleasure to be able to devote a few hours to reading instead of snatching half a hour here or there. I'm lucky now that I've left work - I often spend a couple of hours each morning reading.

I've read the first two books in The Balkan Trilogy which I agree are excellent. Must make some time to read the final book - there's never enogh time to read everything and I'm loving Suite Francaise at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I'll post a review but it may be a while - there are over 1,000 pages in this book!

BooksPlease, I do like Manning's writing - something almost masculine about her style.

Cornflower said...

Reading has such a pull when you haven't time for enough of it.