Monday 1 September 2008

Mitford love

This time last year I very much enjoyed reading The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters edited by Charlotte Mosley. Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while. I've been saving it for my big September read. I'm a huge fan of Nancy Mitford and I've read Love in a Cold Climate and The Pursuit of Love many, many times. In her book 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel, Jane Smiley summarises her talent a lot better than I can:
Reading Nancy Mitford makes me believe that writing comic novels is one of the most purely humanitarian endeavors civilization has ever come up with.

1 comment:

kristina said...

I read 'Love in a Cold Climate' several years ago when I still lived in Massachusetts. I'd picked it up by chance in our local library not knowing anything at all about the Mitfords. Perhaps it's time for a re-read (or maybe I should try the letters)! K x